Re: Digest Number 1421

Subject: Re: Digest Number 1421
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:40:54 -0400
>    From: Rob Danielson <>
> Subject: Re: Sennheiser digital wireless (was surround recording)
>
> Hi Walt. Please do let us know what you discover
> with the 1092 in the field.  Price mentioned was
> $249 (new) which would be much lower than the
> Letrosonics. The spec sheet says it has a 1/8"
> mono in (guitar~line?) and xlr balanced
> out.  Hopefully Interference won't  be a problem
> away from city, but you never know these days.
> 900 - 925 MHz seems to be just below GSM and
> maybe be in a portion of the spectrum set aside
> for use for the railroads and other special
> puposes.  Just have to try it to find out. Thanks
> for the tip.   Rob D.

There are three of them on Ebay right now. Two have buy it now's, of
$200 & $235. All three are the guitar version, about all I see there.
The list price is pretty high, but you don't have to pay that.

The input to the transmitter is a 1/8" ministereo plug with a locking
collar. A standard ministereo plug would work, with the risk of
unplugging. It uses one contact for line level input, another for mic
input. The mic input has plug in power. It's not balanced inputs, of course.

There's also a mic version in addition to the belt pac transmitters. But
that's not of much interest for our purposes. The sets I have are all
the 1092 sets designed to work with guitars or other such instruments.

Output out of the receiver is intended to go to a mix board and is
either 1/4" unbalanced or balanced XLR.

I believe that's all fairly typical for sennheiser's wireless setups.

The transmission is of a digital data stream, the 16bit 44khz samples,
so is much more interference proof than the analog wireless setups. And
carries the full dynamic range of digital.

There are 4 channels, 905, 915, 920, 925 MHz, so up to four can be used
simultaneously. Since each is a mono channel, it takes two for stereo. I
have seen where use of one of the common hand held radio communicators
next to the receiver could cause dropout. Since the antenna is inside
the plastic case you'd have to add the expensive special antenna for it
to be able to shield the receiver. I've not seen any of those antennas
on Ebay. As they would maximize the range, I would like to find some at
a reasonable price. It's a special antenna, the ones for other wireless
won't work and may damage the receiver.

Since there is some interest and Sennheiser seems to have dropped the
info from their site I've put the pdf owners manual up:
http://naturerecordist.home.mindspring.com/digital1000Manual.pdf

At the moment, I need to make a carry case for two receivers and make a
battery pac to go in that. They assume you are plugging the receiver's
wall wart in. The receivers are set up for rack mounting. Once I get
that done I'll have something portable in the field. It uses 12 volts
DC, so could be connected to a car battery, I think. Need to check with
Sennheiser as to how much voltage variation it will tolerate.