Re: Magicicada

Subject: Re: Magicicada
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:53:14 -0400
From: "benseaward" <>

> Actually theres not to much noise pollution. There was a light out
> side my office that attracted them like crazy. You'd go outside and
> be attacked by them. So one night I went out with a Senn M/S set up
> and a sony lav clipped to my chest. The real CU piercing noise are
> the cicadas all over me. I do a lot post sound designing for graphics
> and promos and these recordings have come in very handy.

There is the steady sound of air conditioning compressors. And, of
course a bunch of handling noise.

The entire length of the waveform has cut off and folded top waveforms
here and there indicative of some clipping. The actual calls contain a
similar pattern which means you have to look carefully to determine
which is which. Though it's not too bad except for the loudest call
where it's audible.

Some calls sound like there may have been overload before the A/D. I
don't know how much a sony lav can take like this, but some sounds like
I used to get using a sony in a parabolic. Even the sennheisers have limits=
.

Otherwise a fairly nice recording of what it's like to be out with
cicadas. It can be painful at times.