Sennheiser Digital Wireless 1000

Subject: Sennheiser Digital Wireless 1000
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:05:46 -0400
When we discussed this wireless setup earlier some had asked for
samples. On my last foray into S Georgia I set up the wireless one
morning in the wildlife preserve where I'd camped. Unfortunately, as I
was setting up various logging operations in all directions got going.
So, lots of background from them made for a less than ideal test. The
various callers also kept moving around, hard to get a even set of callers.

The setup:
SASS/MKH-20 on the tall tripod. Mics fed into the Sound Devices MP2 pre
hanging on the tripod, wireless transmitter clipped to it's case. Then
the left channel was fed via the line in on the wireless transmitter.
Then, wireless to the receiver 50' away, then into the Portadisc from
the receiver. The Right channel was fed from the MP2 via canare star
quad cable with neutric connectors to the Portadisc directly. These two
paths were a bit tricky to get a good level balance between, any
difference in absolute channel balance is my fault. If both channels had
of been wireless or both cable, balance would have been pretty easy. The
wireless was not hard to figure out. The MP2 could overload it, so the
level setting on it for the wireless channel was lower than for the
cable channel.

I recorded off and on for over a hour, playing tag with birds and
logging. This clip was about as good as I was allowed, the link was
solid. I was powering the receiver off a inverter from the Ranger's
battery and it's wall wart. The transmitter off a 9 volt battery. More
work to do to make up a truly portable receiver end. Probably build the
two receivers and batteries and so on into a pelican case. I did check
as far as 250' and the digital link was easily established and rock
solid. Tests of linking two channels were the same. You can run as many
as 4 channels in the same area if you have 4 transmitters and receivers.
They are sold as single channel setups.

The sample:
http://madranis.home.mindspring.com/AA.011a.mp3
Sample was encoded using the Lame encoder in Peak 4.1 in OSX. Uploaded
using Fetch 4.0.3, and redownloaded and checked using the Quicktime plug
in with Netscape 7.1.

I do not consider this sample definitive, but it is encouraging.