Re: Audio Monitors for Editing (bass shakers)

Subject: Re: Audio Monitors for Editing (bass shakers)
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 11:44:38 -0400
From: "Greg Weddig" <>

> Walt it's mostly because in most of my recording I'm trying to get rid
> of the low frequency information, most of the audio production is not
> traditional music so at this point anyway I don't have a real need for
> a subwoofer.  Though it works great in a planetarium seat (which is
> what I have the demo unit for).

I thought that might be it. Most audio work is music, or voice. Both of
which don't have any real infrasound content. So, as a result infrasound
is considered something to eliminate. However, in natural settings
infrasound is part of the ambiance. Eliminating or ignoring it is part
of what keeps our recordings from sounding as natural as they could. Or
that's my theory.

I have a book around here somewhere I read a while back. On the history
of sound. Really the history of sound reproduction. It gets into the
business of how our sound production and recording technology growth has
determined how we record. If the technology had of come in a different
order, we might have quite different ideas as to what's a good recording...

> The specs on the bass shaker I have imply a 10hz>80hz range, pretty
> typical for a subwoofer.  The problem with the bass shacker as I see
> it is that it doesn't really work well unless you mount it to
> something, and then it picks up the resonant frequency of whatever
> you've mounted it to.  Doesn't provide a flat frequency response that
> one tries to attain in loudspeakers.  In my opinion it's much more
> effective at providing a boom than reproducing the subtleties of
> infrasound.

I was afraid of that. That's also my criticism of subwoofers in general.

> Of course I would recommend getting a pair and finding out for
> yourself, check ebay for bass shaker.  They are pretty affordable if
> you have a spare amp.  And they are pretty fun to play with on
> different materials.

I might play with one, see if I can get anything useful. IF it's cheap
enough.