Corncrake recording (Crex crex)

Subject: Corncrake recording (Crex crex)
From: "Dominique Laloux" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 13:53:31 +0200
The corncrake is one of 17 bird species breeding in Europe which are
globally threatened.
Two days ago, I had a chance to record of the only one that has been
officially reported in Belgium through the Belgian ornithology list
(Aves). Not a big feat -- not even a great singer -- but perhaps
interesting by its rarity...

23:16PM. Just arrived on the plateau. Thanks to the Telinga, I can
locate the Corncrake in less than 30 seconds ! This first recording is
typical of what could be heard from a distance of a few hundred
meters... Wind is fairly strong and carries the traffic noise. (Very
faint calls - best heard through headphones)
http://www.soundsnatural.be/index.php?r=157

11:50PM. For about 20 minutes, I have come cautiously closer and closer
to the Corncrake. The wind is strong and plays with the accoustics !
http://www.soundsnatural.be/index.php?r=158

00:06AM. Here we are... After about 45 minutes of careful approach,
following a path in the cereals, I am finally at a few steps from the
Corncrake. Less than 5 meters. I can record it for several minutes
until, suddenly, it goes silent...
http://www.soundsnatural.be/index.php?r=159

DL