Re: Cicada 17 year recording opportunity

Subject: Re: Cicada 17 year recording opportunity
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 09:02:52 -0400
To all you cicada afficiondos:

The key for recording is to look for recently logged areas with lots of very
small trees coming up, none going much above ten feet in height. Because
there was forest before the logging, there might be lots of cicadas
emerging. These cicadas will be singing from heights where you can observe
them, record them closely, photograph them, and have a very good time of it
all.

This happened to me in year 2000 when I recorded Magicicada septendecim in
North Carolina. I was at the site of a two periodical cicada researchers,
John Cooley and David Marshall. I was able to get superb closeups of the
normal breeding call of the male and special calls they give just prior to
copulation, where the female answers the male with clicks she makes by
snapping her wings.

A lot of information can be found here:

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/fauna/michigan_cicadas/Periodical/Index.ht
ml#Magicicada%20broods

Brood X will be emerging in the following states:

DE, GA, IL, IN, KY, MD, MI, NC, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WVA

Brood maps may be found here:

http://members.fortunecity.com/cicadaman1999/id47.htm

Here is a composite brood map:

http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/magicicada/Periodical/compositebroods.html

And here's a closeup map of Brood X, but note that it doesn't seem to
include populations in New York, where they definitely will be emerging:

http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/magicicada/Periodical/BroodX.html

Lang

Yes, the so called "Brood X" will appear this May; concentrated on the west
side of Cincinnati, where I live.

They're so loud and persistent that its really a LACK of recording
opportunity since you can't hear anything else!

But I'm looking forward to them...

Cheers!

Steve P

"Microphones are not ears,