Recording old timers (was still 'leks')

Subject: Recording old timers (was still 'leks')
From: Marty Michener <>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:16:47 -0400
At 08:56 PM 4/13/2004 +1000, you wrote:
>Any advance on 76?
>
>Syd

To list members who may be feeling their age:

It is too bad that George B. Reynard isn't a member of this group, the
stories he could tell!  I suspect he is well into his eighties . . . I
haven't spoken with him in about four years, (how may he be doing,
Randy?)  He was already well along in his lifetime of amazing recording
achievements when I first met him at Cornell in 1957.  He is probably best=

known for his Caribbean bird recordings.

It is likely that L. Irby Davis would never bother to join such a group, as=

he was certainly in all respects a "loner".  Born and lived a full life in=

Harlingen, TX, he was assuredly a conservative's conservative.  When at
Cornell, contributing to the "catalog" he lived in this camper truck, and
ate two meals a day of oatmeal.  Period.  He once told me that the US of A=

took two sharp right turns in policy - one with Income Tax and one with
Social Security, and we are now marching backward. ;^)  Irby is best known=

for his studies of and recordings of Mexican birds, and is missed by those=

fortunate to have known him.  I never did ask him what the "L." stood for.

I send to all my feeble regards,

Marty Michener, MIST Software Assoc. Inc.,  P. O. Box 269, Hollis, NH 03049

"How do I know my youth is all spent, my get-up-and-go has got up and went?
But in spite of it all I'm able to grin, when I think of the places my
get-up has been."
  - the chorus to a great Pete Seeger song, at
http://bluegrasslyrics.com/bluegrass_song.cfm-recordID=3Dsp933.htm