2 Mystery sounds revealed, at last.

Subject: 2 Mystery sounds revealed, at last.
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:34:31 -0700
The first sound, Mystery1, is a cow and bull mating in the Swan
Valley, Idaho in late May, 1998 while recording up on a ridge
overlook, hence the natural reverberation. Even though we live in a
rural area w/ lots of cows and bulls, I'd never heard that one before
in all my years in the field trying to avoid domestic critters. My
wife, Kat, and I laughed for hours...

The second Mystery sound is a pair of rare baby vultures, probably
greater yellow-headed (Cathartes melambrotus) but maybe lesser
yellow-headed (C. burrovianus). I vote for the former since the
habitat is more likely. I didn't see the parents and didn't get a
very good look at details of the babies because they were too high
up, it was way too dark in the hollowed out hole, and, at 66, having
pulled myself up to the edge to see what was producing the sound,  I
wasn't able to hang that long. But birds, they were. Having caught a
glimpse, I threw a couple of ECM55B lavs over the 12 ft. high ridge
that was just within reach and down into the hole to get the sound.
Neither vulture type has been studied much and I have not been able
to find any decent recordings of the adults to compare. The babes,
however, are on tape. The recording was made midday on our recent
trip to Ecuador in January with ten-days recording along the Rio Napo
in what little remains of an old growth forest area.

Unfortunately, no one guessed both sounds, so we'll up the winnings
next time around.

Bernie Krause

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
P. O. Box 536