Re: amplification of mic self-noise

Subject: Re: amplification of mic self-noise
From: "evertveldhuis" <>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:48:30 -0000
Jesse,

I only know this from school, so I might be wrong. But I think this
is how you should process the numbers.

If your mic has 5 dB self-noise, and the preamp has 50 dB gain, then
both the self-noise and the signal from the mic are 50 dB louder.
Assuming the input signal is 20 dB then; output of preamp is 5 + 50
=3D 55 dB noise and 20 + 50 =3D 70 dB signal.

The signal to noise ratio at the mic input is 20 - 5 =3D 15 dB.
At the preamp output it is 70 - 55 =3D 15 dB at best; if the amp has
added sef-noise too, the SNratio of the preamp output might be worse
then the SNratio of the mic.

The only thing an amp does is making signals stronger, both the
wanted audio signal and the unwanted self-noise.

The variables we have are:
- self-noise of the mic, and the preamp; these should be low values
- gain of the pre-amp; this one doesn't matter
- signal to noise ratio of the pre-amp; this one is best a high value
- signal strength of the source; this one is best a high value

Regards, Evert

--- In  "jessehammons"