microphone recommendations?

Subject: microphone recommendations?
From: "Jonno Williams" <>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:00:03 -0000

Hello all. I have a couple of questions about improving my field recording
equipment...

I've been using Sound Professional binaural mics for the past few years with a
minidisc recorder for soundscape and environment recordings, and am wanting to
get another microphone to use in the field with my Sharp MD-DR7 minidisc
recorder.

I want to make recordings from both urban and countryside environments, and be
able to pick up very quiet sounds with as much fidelity and lack of noise as
possible.

The main problems with my current setup are a bad signal-to-noise ratio at and
bad wind screening. I also want a non-binaural setup. I'd like the flexibility
of being able to record both ambience and specific sounds within an environment.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which microphones I should look at? My
budget is limited, but am willing to pay extra if it is deemed worth it!

I do own a Red 5 Audio RV10 large diaphragm multi pattern studio condenser mic
that requires 48V phantom power. Is there any way I can get a power supply for
this to use outdoors instead of buying a new mic, and will it work with the
minidisc?

Does anyone also have any suggestions for a decent cheap portable mic pre-amp I
can use instead of the noisy minidisc one?

Sorry for the run of basic questions, but I'd be very grateful for any advice!
Thanks,

Jonno.