Re: Red-Breasted Sapsuckers in love!

Subject: Re: Red-Breasted Sapsuckers in love!
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 09:21:45 -0700
At 09:19 PM 3/20/2004, Martyn wrote:

>I got some fabulous Red-Breasted sapsucker calls today at Carnation Marsh,=

>I saw 11 in the day, it was certainly the first day of spring and love was=

>in the air!
>
>This is a recording of 4 of them on a snag overlooking the marsh, I have
>filtered out a lot of the noise pollution, maybe I saw 11 all of last year=
!

>This was recorded on Marantz pmd-670 with a Telinga stereo dat mic, with
>dish. MP3. 35sec. 29f sunny 6.30am
>

><http://www.naturesound.org/Sound%20Files/Red-Breasted%20sapsucker.mp3>htt=
p://www.naturesound.org/Sound%20Files/Red-Breasted%20sapsucker.mp3

This sound and the one posted by Jim Morgan are great examples of the
plesiomorphic breeding "song" of the true woodpeckers. This sound, or sound=

very similar to it, spans the whole woodpecker family (Picidae), so the
assumption is that it is a sound that has been inherited almost across the=

board from the earliest woodpeckers. A good example of how to trace the
evolution of a clad via the sounds they make.

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
Moderator