Cooledit etc

Subject: Cooledit etc
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:52:19 -0000
--- In  "Daniel De Granville"
<> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> After a long time away from the internet, I'm kind of online now. I
say
> "kind of", because the connection (dial-up) is extreeeemely
sloooow.
> But
> broadband
> is on the way, and should be available within some weeks!
>
> As I have mentioned in one of my last posts some weeks ago, I am now
> managing a research and ecotourism facility in the Pantanal of
Brazil.
> And
> using my spare time to try and develop some nature recording
skills.
> Now
> that
> I have a more proper gear, I'm really enjoying this stuff, but
still
> having
> some trouble
> on transferring files to my computer.
>
> I am basically using a Sennheiser ME62 mic mounted on a homemade
> parabolic
> (a US$ 1.50 umbrella - thanks to many of you for the tips and
tricks on
> setting this up!) and recording with a Sony MZ-N10 MD recorder. The
> results
> have been quite satisfactory, but I do have some questions
regarding
> this:
>
> 1) Is there any other way to control the volume input, besides MS
> Windows'
> mic volume controls, when transferring the sounds analogically to
the
> hard
> disk using Cool Edit Pro?

Cooledit supports wma and mme drivers. Does not support asio drivers
but it continues to be considered by Adobe for Audition. Cooledit and
Cooledit pro are not programs designed to set input levels.  This is
done by the drivers either external to your computer or between the
operating system and Cooledit

You did not mention what you use for a sound card to get the sound
into your computer. My external sound cards allow me to control input
levels.

If you use line level you should not have to set the level more than
once as the peak will stay the same.  Not all line levels are created
equal as there are a few standards as well as many miscalibrations.=20
But that said,l once you set your max output from the minidisc to
your computer at 0db (-3db is better) than you will not have to mess
with it again and can get all the sound into your computer and can
edit after the fact.=20
That does assumes that you run a sound card that will give you 96db
s/n which is a safe assumption if you are running a half way decent
sound card.

> 2) Which Cool Edit's filters have you guys been finding more
> successful on
> reducing background hiss without affecting the target sounds too
much?
> I've
> tried some like "Noise Reduction", but maybe I'm not doing this
right,
> because I seem to be affecting the main sound more than I wish. Can
> find
> these
> kinds of tips on dealing with Cool Edit somewhere on the web?

Cooledit Pro and Audition are falling behind in the last couple
years. At this time I would no longer recommend an upgrade to
Audition.  For the price I would currently go with "n-track studio"
and handle any additional needs with plug-ins. Many of which are
free. Cooledit does not handle VST plug-ins and just Direct-X.
Cooledit Pro does not handle ASIO drivers. Cooledit Pro's Surround
mixer does not work. Cooledit Pro does not do non-destructive edits.
Cooledit Pro is a memory hog.

But if you still want Cooledit Pro or Audition.  They have additional
filters and better filters than Cooledit LE or 2000 had. There is a
specific "hiss" filter but I can not say that I have played with it
much.  Filtering is something that I either do very soft or very
hard.  If I have to hit it hard I know that the sound is going to
sound different and somewhat dead.  Always better to get the perfect
recording (which is impossible of course).

> 3) Does anyone know if there is a way around my Sony MD recorder's
> default
> setting of "Rec Level"? I prefer using "Manual", which means that I
can
> change the rec level while recording, as opposed to "Auto". Problem
is
> that,
> every time that I stop the recorder, the setting goes automatically
> back to
> "Auto", and then I have to scroll through the whole menu again in
> order to
> set it back to "Manual". A real pain in the ass and time consuming
in
> some
> occasions.

I don't know your specific machine but that has been a complaint
against Sony minidiscs for some time but I feel that they are still a
more sturdy machine than the alternatives.  The importance of
strength needs to be weighed against some of the options as this one
you note.

I was very sorry to see that the next generation of Sony Minidisc
will degrade the ATRAC codex to that of "somewhat crappy" on the
highest quality setting for ATRAC. But they promise uncompressed wave
record so it is made up there.
The ATRAC format will die from this decision by Sony in my oppionion.
We will see if the Minidisc machine itself survives that poor
decision.

> I guess that's all for now. Thanks to everyone.
>

> Daniel De Granville
> Pantanal, Brazil
>
> --

Last oppionion, outlaw the bullet trains.  In the US our rail lines
mainly follow riverbeds. The rivers are a big part of our birds
migration routes. 100+mph trains will kill the flyways of the US.

So much for my oppionions.  I am back home and a bit grumpy as I
fought wind, dogs, and people for three days in a world with too few
birds.  I hope it is just early and not the continueing trend.=20

I am redesigning my outside mic as I have a request to build four
different mics right now.  These projects, I suspect, will result in
a new version of a lowcost outdoor mic.  I expect to be done this
week with all of them.

Rich