recovering MD recording (HHB Portadisc)

Subject: recovering MD recording (HHB Portadisc)
From: "jpbeale" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 04:18:35 -0000
This is about the Portadisc more than it is about nature recording,
but perhaps there's some helpful knowlege out there? I recorded a full
MD in mono on my Portadisc (160 minutes) using the built-in batteries,
and the unit ran out of power and shut off. Now when I play back, I
get only the two minutes I had recorded previously, all 2+ hours is
missing. Is it true that the data was actually recorded but the MD TOC
(index) was just not updated?  The disc is still in the unit, I
haven't yet ejected it. Is there any way to recover it? I'm keeping my
fingers crossed!