Re: a preamp survey

Subject: Re: a preamp survey
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:00:44 +1000
Walt wrote:

> From: Walter Knapp <>
> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:11:44 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] a preamp survey
>
> I'm well aware of this problem. Funny how folks can be talked into
> spending several hundred on a pre, but it's harder to get them to spend
> the same amount on a mic. Even though the mic is going to do more
> improvement.

Yep.  Life was ever thus.  25 years ago one Steve Parish was the official
photographer for the Queensland National Parks & Wildlife Service.  Used a
motorised single-lens reflex.  Took a number of photos of any wildlife he
managed to get into his view-finder.  Used up a lot of film.

When criticised for the amount of film used, he rightly pointed out that
compared to the cost of actually getting to the situation where the wildlif=
was in the view-finder, film cost was minor.

Sadly he didn't stay in the Service for long.  His choice.  Couldn't stand
the way the Service was being run - part of the politicisation of the publi=
service by Premier Joh.

Steve rapidly became a very successful (=3D rolling in it!) freelance
photographer, author and publisher.   About the same time the Service lost
an outstanding young artist too.  Probably for much the same reason, though
in his case I don't know this.  A few years later he mentioned that his tax
accountant had suggested he should take an overseas trip to reduce his tax,
so he was doing OK.  Most Queenslanders don't realise how much damage Joh
did, secure in office because of his manipulated electoral boundaries.

As I say, life was ever thus.

Syd (in Brisbane, Australia)