Re: mammal recordings

Subject: Re: mammal recordings
From: Lang Elliott <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:43:15 -0500
Hello Group!

I haven't been on for quite awhile, but here I am still alive and kicking!

I am in need of some mammal recordings. I am re-publishing my guide "Wild
Sounds of the Northwoods", broadening it a bit to include all of
eastern/central North America. This guide includes recordings of mammals,
frogs, one insect, plus a lot of birds.

My mammal coverage is the weakest. I could use better recordings of the
following (I need enough material to edit down to around 45 seconds or so):

Fox Squirrel (typical calls)
Red Fox (anything)
Gray Fox (I have doglike barks; what else do they do?)
Timber Wolf (nice howling)
Bobcat (anything)
Black Bear (anything typical)
Groundhog (the alarm whistle)
Raccoon (but only the subtle garbled sounds made as they feed and move
about)
White-tailed Deer (alarm call of fawn)
Porcupine (male breeding call)
Moose (gawuks of male, moo of female)
Cougar (anything good)
Opossum (anything good)
Short-tailed Shrew (alarm squealing)
Meadow Vole (alarm squealing)
White-footed Mouse (alarm squealing)
Bit Brown Bat (alarm or chips given in flight)
+ any other eastern/central species that make good sense

I will not include all of these in my guide, but I do plan to use any reall=
good recordings I can find.

Lang

Lang Elliott
NatureSound Studio