Re: what is "shrill"

Subject: Re: what is "shrill"
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:18:25 -0000
I will agree with that Lang.
Now to determine if I am nuts, which should be a separate thread on
its own, I did a comparison over time.

With the comparison I mentioned in my last post. I took a segment of
each frog call over a about 5 seconds or so. I put the GC on the left
channel and The Telinga on the right channel. Display was averaged
over time, for frequency over volume. Primary energy noted at 3,500
cycles, and was matched the same for each channel.  I see that the
Telinga is 6 to 12 db louder from 4,000 to 13,000 cycles. That is my
experience and I do feel I can hear that difference. I also feel that
the GC is closer to reality of what the critter sounded like.  I like
the telinga but still do prefer this larger dish and would like to
see a equalizer curve to bring down the highs.  Now that I have this
side by side file maybe it is easier to do.  I will try.

small downloads this time <100kb
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/gcvte.jpg

same just zoomed in:
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/gcvte2.jpg

Rich

--- In  Lang Elliott <>
wrote:
> Klas:
>
> I too would like to hear answers to your question about
defining "shrill".
> According to my dictionary, "shrill" means "high-pitched and
piercing". In
> other words, shrill sounds can be a little hard on the ears.
>
> An example is the call of the Spring Peeper. Though not extremely
> high-pitched at 3-3.5 kHz, it is extremely piercing. One only has
to walk
> into a chorus and find out. The sound is so piercing that it causes
> distortion in one's ears, probably due to simple overload.
>
> Relative to our discussion of parabolas and the quality of
recordings
> obtained from them, I think "shrill" means that the parabola is
boosting the
> highs (relative to the midrange) and making high pitched songs or
the
> high-pitched portions of songs more obvious.
>
> One notices this when recording the song of the Wood Thrush, where
the
> frequency ranges from around 2.5 kHz upwards to 7-8 kHz. Even when
recorded
> with a microphone having reasonably flat frequency response (such
as my SASS
> unit), it becomes clear that certain parts of certain Wood Thrush
songs have
> shrill components that are a very hard on the ears. When one uses a
parabola
> and records a Wood Thrush in dead-on focus, it is likely that the
shrill
> components of the song will be emphasized even further, which can
really
> cause a listener to cringe if the resulting recording is played at
high
> level.
>
> This argues for using a parabola setup that has a fairly flat
response, at
> least from around 3 kHz upwards to 10 kHz.
>
> Unfortunately, most parabolas don't behave this way. Usually, there
is an
> increase in gain (for on-axis sounds) as the frequency increases.
At least
> up to a certain point. Thus, if we had a hypothetical bird singing
a song
> that ranged from 2 kHz all the way to 10 kHz, a focused parabola
will
> probably emphasize the higher components of the song, sometimes
with a great
> difference in gain involved. The result is a "distorted" or "skewed"
> recording, where there is a distortion of the loudness spectrum (=
loudness
> versus frequency).
>
> Try getting a parabolic recording of a honking Canada Goose. You
will be
> amazed at how it will overemphasize the highs in comparison to the
lows,
> which can be below 1 kHz for this bird. The resultant recording
sounds tinny
> and unnatural. That's why one should use a shotgun mike to record
geese.
> Shotgun mikes are superior when recording broad band sounds because
the
> frequency response is quite flat for on-axis sounds.
>
> So back to "shrill". I think in this discussion it simply refers to
an
> overemphasis of the high end, relative to what one would hear
without using
> a parabola or relative to a recording made with a naked
omnidirectional