Duet terminology: "antiphonal"

Subject: Duet terminology: "antiphonal"
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:45:49 +1000

 In the "King Rail vs. Virginia Rail" discussion, Lang wrote (27 Feb 2004):

> From: Lang Elliott <>

> Your recording is the "grunt duet". If you listen closely, you'll hear one
> giving low calls to one side, while the mate gives a higher call to the
> other side. But these are given in rapid alternation such that it sounds
> like a call from an individual.

There is a useful term for this: "antiphonal duetting".  I haven't followed
the discussion closely, but I think that the term has not been used.

I would like to suggest that Naturerecordists should use it when a pair of
birds are singing in this manner, so that we may know this is happening.
(I'll append some references.)

For consideration.

Syd Curtis in Brisbane, Australia

1.  In "A New Dictionary of Birds" ed. by A. Landsborough Thomson, (Thomas
Nelson, 1964).  At page 749 in the article "Singing" by Dr W. H. Thorpe.

    "In a number of the South American tyrant-flycatchers (Tyrranidae),
Central American wrens (Troglodytidae), African Shrikes *Laniarius* spp.,
barbets (Capitonidae), and grass warblers *Cisticola* spp., to mention only
a few, a very special type of duetting, known as antiphonal singing occurs.
In this type, two members of a pair may alternate with extraordinarily
accurate timing, often singing different phrases, so that unless one is
actually watching it may be impossible to tell that the song is not coming
from one bird."

2.  Chapter 4 of Volume 2 of "Acoustic Communication in Birds", ed. by
Donald E. Kroodsma & Edward Miller (Academic Press 1982), titled "The
Ecological and Social Significance of Duetting", is by Susan M. Farabaugh.
>From a quick scan, I think she does not define "antiphonal" singing but she
does use the term.  For example:

    "Duetting ... includes many different types of vocal interactions, from
the elaborate pair-specific antiphonal song of Buff-breasted Wrens
(*Thryothorus leucotis*) to the overlapping calling bouts of American
Oyster-catchers (*Haematopus ostralegus*)."

3.  "Bird Song - Biological themes and variations" by C.K. Catchpole and PBJ
Slater, (Cambridge University Press, 1995).  At page 174, the authors write:

    "Some duets have phenomenal precision of timing.  Indeed, while bouts
may overlap, the sounds themselves may not do so, the birds fitting their
sounds together so precisely that it is hard to believe that more than one
individual is involved.  This form of duetting, in which male and female use
different notes and sing alternately, is known as antiphonal singing (Hooker
& Hooker 1969)."

The reference quoted is T. Hooker & B.I. Hooker, "Duetting" in "Bird
Vocalizations" ed. R. A. Hinde, pp 185-205 (Cambridge University press,
1969).

BTW, Catchpole and Slater use the Eastern Whipbird (*Psophodes olivaceous*)
of Australia to illustrate antiphonal duetting.  However, our Butcherbirds
(*Cracticus* spp.) have more impressive and more beautiful antiphonal duets.

>From   Tue Mar  8 18:26:59 2005
Message: 22