Re: Warning Playback AGAIN

Subject: Re: Warning Playback AGAIN
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 12:50:56 -0500
From: "Barb Beck" <>

> Darn it Walt -
>
> Why justify something by something worse.  They could light fires to flush
> out the wildlife.  They could cage the wildlife and have people walk along
> the trail and see the caged bird.

What makes you think I'm trying to justify anything

> You say that contests to rack up numbers are silly yet that is exactly what
> is going on.  Selfishly my main complaint is that it is SOOOOOO ANNOYING to
> go someplace and have some fool playing some tape or cd all the time.  Are
> the places these people are going to so impoverished of wildlife that such
> means must be used. Do people just not appreciate what they can see and hear
> naturally. Isn't there enough there to enjoy that way. Hey if the wildlife
> is so poor in these areas I suggest they come to the Boreal Forest in
> Alberta in June.

If they run playback constantly the animals come to ignore it. Science
has done whole studies on just that.

I find far more fools out in nature playing the mating call of humans,
or whatever modern 'music' is ;-)

The real problem is time (if you ignore overpopulation). People have
forgotten how to take time. Got to find it in X minutes so we can rush
to find the next one in X minutes, or something like that. Even if there
is no contest.

And I've already commented on the tendency to make everything a contest.

It's so much more satisfying to use a little fieldcraft and slip quietly
into a animal's environment to enjoy it. And I have done that even with
boom boxes blaring nearby.