Re: more about playback

Subject: Re: more about playback
From: tony baylis <>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:10:38 -0800 (PST)
The discussions about playback have not changed much
over the past 25 years as far as I can tell.  The
ethics of it remain the same. I have personally used
playback occasionally to confirm the identity of a
species that I have recorded.  I have used playback to
confirm that owl species have been present.  My
initial interest in wildlife sound recording came
about when I recorded both carrion crows and tawny
owls in central London with a dreadful mic to a mains
recorder through the window.  I was astonished at the
response when I played the sound back through the
window.  This set me off to find out how to record
birds in the wild with the object of using playback to
draw birds in to photograph them.  With much advice
from the then curator of wildlife sound at the British
Library, Ron Kettle, I assembled the kit to record in
the field.  To date I have never used the technique to
photograph anything.  The issue of guides and birders
using playback repeatedly in areas to tick their and
their clients lists should be addressed.  Reading
elsewhere there seems to be evidence that limited use
of playback would have very little impact.
Irresponsible use should be discouraged.  I will
continue to use the technique on occasions that I feel
are appropriate.

Tony Baylis.

--- Daniel De Granville - Fotograma

http://www.ibiblio.org/pardo/birds/archive/archive10/msg04817.html