More of Lord Howe Island

Subject: More of Lord Howe Island
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 14:32:54 +1000
Hello Martyn,

            Your interest in Lord Howe Island provokes a further postsing.

Warning:  another long one coming up!

Don't get too upset at the golf course, Martyn - it's very small.  I'm not a
golfer, but my estimate is that it occupies about as much ground as three
par 5s of a normal course.  The area is used very economically with fairways
crossing one another, I think, to give nine holes.  Never likely to be
crowded because of the small population of the Island, and the locals
determination to keep the Island that way.   It's mainly for the locals, but
visitors are welcome.

And there are several species of birds that find good pickings on its mown
grass.  (Oh yes, and I noticed a Woodhen enjoying the surrounds of the Club
House.)

You can't go to LHI unless you have accommodation booked (or you have been
invited by a local resident) and you can't buy/lease land there unless an
existing lot comes up for sale and no-one on the Island wants it and can
afford to buy it.  So the population is kept small.  About 300, I think, but
my memory is not too good these days.

And there is a strict limit on the amount of tourist accommodation.  Ninety
beds, maybe.

It's a World Heritage listed area, and probably Australia's best cared for,
notwithstanding the serious weed problem.  Sometime in the past a short
airstrip was built (by the Australian Air Force) across the one small flat
(middle) section of the island.  It is just a kilometre long.  Rock material
for the construction was gathered from the intertidal zone as far south
around the side of Mt Gower as it was possible to get vehicular access.  No
quarrying above high tide.  Environmentally responsible, would you not say?

Well perhaps not the ultimate.  Consider this:  At one spot, the single
north/south access road traverses a narrow flat between rocky cliff and the
shore of Blue Lagoon. A few years ago, erosion from the sea threatened to
cut the road - and hence the only access between the airport and the main
settlement area.  A massive rock retaining wall needed to be built, both for
the road and to protect the end of the airstrip, and that part of the road
had to be reconstructed.

So where did the quarry material for that come from?  From New Zealand,
that's where!  Hundreds of kilometres by ship, and then brought ashore by
the biggest helicopter I've ever seen.  (Though sadly only parked.  It
wasn't operating while I was there.)

I often criticise our Australian Government for its lack of care of the
environment, but I applaud its willingness to fund the care of this World
Heritage Area.  This also applies to weed eradication, but that is a
labour-intensive task, and with the small Island population, labour is in
short supply.  To some extent this is being addressed by volunteers from the
mainland, mostly people who are members of the "Friends of Lord Howe
Island".

The island has reticulated 240V power - all underground!  The roads (all
sealed) are the minimum necessary for access, and have a speed limit of, I
think, 15 km/hour.  Low enough anyway, that cyclists occasionally get booked
for speeding!  Yes, the island has a police station.  And a hospital, and a
school.

No hotel, but the Island Administration operates a bottle shop for those
wanting to buy alcoholic beverages.  And of course most (all?) of the
tourist accommodation places can provide alcohol with meals.

When you decide to dine at a restaurant other than where you are staying, a
car will pick you up from your accommodation and bring you back after your
meal - at no cost.  Just part of the Island's friendly service.

I think there are maybe two cars available for hire on the island, but
bicycle is the usual form of visitor transport.  The roads are mostly flat.
The most arduous bit of pedalling one usually encounters is that one km
beside the airstrip: quite flat, but almost always you'll have a head-wind
going one way or the other.  The only safe surfing beach is at the eastern
end of the airstrip, and the golf course is also south of the airstrip as
are some interesting walking tracks including the one to the "Goat House".

The Goat House is a cave on the side of Mt Lidgbird in which the goats use
to shelter.  (Last time I was there it sheltered a nesting Red-tailed Tropic
Bird.)  It is suggested that visitors contemplating the Mt Gower guided
climb, try out by walking to the Goat House.  Quite safe - ropes are
installed for the steepest part - but it is a good test of fitness for those
not sure how they'd go on Mt Gower.

Another LHI peculiarity:  the Mt Gower trek starts by skirting around a
narrow ledge near the base of a cliff, to get to a valley that is traversed
right to its source to start the real climb.  There is a small danger of
falling stones, and therefore the Island administration has provided a large
box of hard-hats just before the ledge.  You put one on and wear it until
past the danger zone, and put it on again on the way back.

Blue Lagoon, on the western side of the Island, is formed by the most
southerly coral reef in this part of the world. Swimming (without surf) is
available in the Lagoon in the main settlement area.  Or if that side of the
island is windy on the day, a short bike ride across the island gets you to
Ned's beach, which will then be in the lee of the Island.  Gently shelving
sand at both places.  Very safe for children.

Ned's Beach has a special attraction: feeding the fish.  No fishing is
allowed and fish up to maybe a metre long are quite tame and will come into
waist-deep water to be fed.

Not only the birds, but the Island people are notably friendly.  On one
occasion an over-enthusiastic small reef shark took a bite of a boy's leg
during fish feeding.  After initial local treatment he needed evacuation to
a mainland hospital.   I was told that the Island people 'took round the
hat' and raised about $10,000 which they gave to the family to compensate
for the expenses involved.

Now people are discouraged by warning signs from feeding the fish
themselves, but twice a day at pre-set times, an Administration employee
wades out to feed the fish - with restaurants' scraps.  You enter the water
at your own risk, but the view from the water's edge is still impressive.

Pacific Black Ducks (Anas superciliosa) are fresh-water birds on mainland
Australia.  On LHI they have also taken to the marine environment.  There's
usually a few of them hanging around at fish-feeding time to glean the
scraps that escape the fish.

There are many km of good safe walking tracks in the Park Preserve.  And a
guide takes parties to the top of Mt Gower once a week when there is a
demand for this.

It's an easy walk from Ned's Beach to the Malabar Cliffs, where in season,
dozens of Red-tailed Tropic Birds are a sight to be seen.  They are
moderately noisy, but in a rather unlovely squawking way.  And of course
there is the constant roar of the surf at the foot of the cliffs.  But
Bernie can be assured that the biophony is not altered in any way at all.

However, the main attraction at Malabar is the fantastic aerial displays put
on by the Tropic Birds.  And you can have the best seat in the house for
free!  I quote again from Ian Hutton's bird book:

    "These birds excel in aerial flying displays, calling in a loud but
delightful "clacking" cry as they execute aerobatics close to the cliff
face.  Pairs in courtship seem to fly in reverse circles over each other,
fluttering downward in a backward curving arc, before flying high again to
repeat the performance."

You need to be there in summer for the Tropic Birds, but winter for the
Providence Petrels, then if you are on the top of Mt Gower and shout at them
they will fly down, flop through trees to the ground near your feet and can
be picked up - without ant aggression towards you if handled gently.

Hutton says that Black-winged Petrels (Pterodroma nigripennis) are fairly
recent colonists - not present in the 1940s; becoming well-known in te '60s.
I found them plentiful flying above the rainforested headland just beyond
Ned's Beach, but Hutton says they can now be found nesting in numerous sites
on LHI.  They are notable for visiting their breeding colonies during the
day, and their loud high-pitched calls as they wheel around above the forest
should make a nice biophony recording for someone with Bernie's skills.  I
got a recording but not really a good one.

The last few hundred metres of road approaching Ned's Beach is through
rainforest that is a Muttonbird nesting colony - Flesh-footed Shearwater
(Puffinus carneipes).  Anyone familiar with nesting colonies of any species
of shearwater, probably knows what to expect, but if you don't ... well as
Hutton says, the noise of the colony has to be heard to be be believed, "a
raucous cacophony of whistles and shrieks that continues all night".   I
find the noise to be almost mammalian rather than avian.

The best time for recording is probably just before the first glimmer of
daylight when they are getting ready to leave for the day's fishing.  To
stand on the road with a mutton-bird at your feet in full voice is really
something!

But perhaps my favourite of all the LHI birds is the White Tern (Gygis
alba).  Hutton: "It has exquisite ivory-white plumage and near translucent
wings when viewed against the sun".  They have the LHI avian friendliness,
and the simplest of nest: none!  The single egg is simply balanced on a bare
horizontal branch.  Out to sea they fly with the grace and speed of
swallows; ashore in the forest they flutter around like large white moths,
quite unconcerned about any human presence.

One of the parents stays with egg all the time, but once hatched the chick
has to hang on through all weathers by itself while its parents go to sea to
fish.  They return with up to half a dozen or so small fish held sideways in
the beak.  How they manage to catch more while holding those already caught
is a mystery to me.

One pair seemed always to 'nest' in a tree immediately outside Thompson's
Store.  We always looked for the chick if on the island in their nesting
season.  One time the chick was well advanced and we'd see him standing up
and exercising his wings.  Then one day my wife said, "He's gone."  this
worried me.  I reckoned he wasn't old enough to leave.  I checked and sure
enough, there was the poor little fella on the ground beneath his tree,
staring longingly up at his branch.  He'd flap madly and get a foot or so
off the ground before crashing down again.

Fortunately by standing on a table I could just reach up to end of his
branch which had grown downwards, and he scrambled back to his 'home'
position.  And minutes later a parent arrived with a load of fish which
should have helped him get over the trauma.

Plenty of White Tern 'nests' in season.  Easy to record their rather
'ratchety'-sounding voices.  Not a lovely song, but a souvenir of a
delightful species.

If you are not concerned about the possibility of sea-sickness, there are
regular boat trips (weather permitting) to Ball's Pyramid, a spectacular
marine stack rising vertically 551 metres out of the ocean, 23 km south-east
of LHI.  Ten species of seabirds nest there undisturbed, including the
Kermadec Petrel - the only known nesting location for it in the Australian
region.  Landing is very difficult, and is permitted only for scientific
purposes.

Martyn, you asked, "How many times do you get to go to the islands, Syd?"
To which I can only answer, "Not often enough!"

We went to LHI a number of times, then ill-health put a stop to it.  First
mine; now my wife's.  And if you suspect from what I've written, that the
withdrawal symptoms are bad, then you are so right!

Put Lord Howe right at the top of your list of ten, Martyn.

Cheers

Syd

 PS  As if LHI's natural attractions weren't enough, I was once dining in a
LHI 'silver service' restaurant with a superb view over Blue Lagoon towards
the setting sun, and at the critical moment saw St Anthony's Fire, something
that had long caught my imagination, but that I never expected to be lucky
enough to see.

S.