Re: Sound Devices update

Subject: Re: Sound Devices update
From: "Rob D." <>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:26:46 -0600

>on an earlier version of the spec sheet
>for the 722.  Let's hope this feature
>was not left out.
>
>I'm sure that there also will be
>concern about the decision to use a
>3.5mm headphone jack, rather than the
>more durable 1/4".
>
>--oryoki

Good to see progress on what the page describes as the "logical
successor to..DAT"  _Something_ will have to succeed one of mine in
Q1 of 04.

Not only would I like M-S features; they could be better than the
mp-2's.  I use the M-S monitoring  feature when searching for a sweet
spot, but I turn it off when I'm recording so I can more accurately
monitor my levels and make needed adjustments quickly (it doesn't
sound that good either). The stereo image in MP-2 M-S monitoring is
the result of the relative gain between the Mid and Side mics.
Recording at levels that produce good imagery sometimes result in
under-saturation on one channel that is great enough to affect
quality/flexibility in post. It seems like Sound Devices or someone
will eventually provide an m-s monitoring circuit with presets
simulating several stereo field settings and compensating for any
necessary gain offset in the monitoring circuit --not in relative pot
settings. For the 722/744 to have m-s features, they need more
practicality to justify the weight/size change.  Encoding M-S in the
field reduces or eliminates the ability to shape the stereo field in
post-- so encoding is not a big loss for anyone who plan to use M-S a
lot.  I saved a clipping that has the 1/8th headphone jack and no
mention of m-s  dated April 2003. Rob D.