Re: Ghillie Suit

Subject: Re: Ghillie Suit
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 21:25:28 -0000
Your about right on MN except having someone bring the food.  You are
expected to tuff it out when in "blind".

I have spent a few occastions in cold wet holes wearing the suit.  I
am going for the multiple holes for shorter times though.  I guess I
am getting soft. Please keep your ants down there.  It was enough to
have a Muskrat share my hole and I would rather have a large single
critter than a million little ones.

Your right on our tundra drying out and warming up. Multiple CBC
circles recorded Golden Crowned Kinglets this December.  I could
dismiss one or two but things are a bit strange.

For the suit, I found they don't work well on Cranes as they are too
smart.  Sparrows in the bush and bird feeders are fun getting 6' from
the subjects.  Ducks work pretty good and in the next few weeks I
will be trying it on a Greater Prairie Chicken Lek without a bigger
blind.

For the younger crowd reading this the biggest reason you want the
suit is because "the chicks dig it".  In a campground at night
between the big dish and the suit it makes a party.  I don't even
remember how many people have had their pictures taken in the suit.
And then there was even a childrens TV show that filmed me in it.

Rich

--- In  Greg Clark <> wrote:
> Rich,
>
> In Minnesota it is considered ok to put the suit on, go in the hole
(as per
> your recommendation, the better to make sure the suit keeps its
fit), get a
> friend to bury you, make it wet etc, bring you food for 3 days, and
then
> they dig you out. Here in Arizona your friends would bring ants
instead of
> food and laugh while you suffer. Digging out would be up to you.
Maybe I
> can send the suit to you and then when the tundra dries out up
there near
> the Arctic circle where you live, you can use the hole you dug a
few years
> ago to help me out with my suit problem. You know, I haven't tried
putting
> the suit in the direct sunlight here in Phoenix for a month in
June. That