Re: RE: sonic booms

Subject: Re: RE: sonic booms
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 21:32:55 -0500
From: "Laloux, Dominique" <>

> Hi Gianni,
>
> Don't have anything related to sonic booms, but I have often noticed changes
> in vocalizing behavior on the side of a railroad track just after the
> passage of a train (higher intensity, frantic calls...) That is quite
> obvious in several of my recordings. I often wondered what such changes
> could mean : annoyance, distress, need to reestablish vocal contact ?... Do
> you see any link with what you are studying ?
> Best greetings to all list members !

It's always a bit risky to attribute emotions to a animal's behavior.
It's one of those things taught early to beginning biologists. We might
have certain emotions, but that has no connection to how the animals
respond.

With the frogs I'd interpret a passing train, truck, car, etc. as being
a excuse for a party if I was giving them emotions. Anyway, they
frequently will call in response to the sound of these things passing.
But the calls are more the usual amorous variety. Typical breeding
calls. I have even heard them start calling in response to a airplane
overhead. We don't have enough sonic booms to get any idea of what they
might do.

I do know the emotions it creates in a recordist to have frogs call only
when cars pass and shut up in between. Good thing it's hard to find the
frogs.