RE: A band of House Sparrows -- and NOT Common Starlings ! -- in t=

Subject: RE: A band of House Sparrows -- and NOT Common Starlings ! -- in t=
From: Doug Von Gausig <>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:08:27 -0700
he garden

At 03:29 PM 12/26/2003, Dominique wrote:
>Doug,
>
>I think I have no alternative but to change the reference to my
>recording -- you must be right : your recording and mine must be from
>the same species.
>
>I certainly need to go back to work and improve my identification skills

We have all made the mistake of thinking that what we see is what we're
recording. In your case you could not see the birds that were in the
bushes, since they like to get into a dense bush and hide and sing. This is=

common for this species.

We have all (I know I have) thought we were recording a bird that we could=

see, but it was not the bird actually singing. To this day, I still confirm=

with binoculars that the bird I am recording is moving with the song that I=

record. You can't always see the mouth open, but you can generally see the=

bird's body twitch, or some other visual clue.

Doug
Doug Von Gausig
Clarkdale, Arizona, USA
Moderator