Re: MD-DR7 Value for money!

Subject: Re: MD-DR7 Value for money!
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 01:42:22 -0000
Sharp has released a new model with the features of the DR7, plus a
few new wrinkles.  It's called the IM-DR80 (or DR580 in some markets).
It's not as good for field recording, in my opinion.

The new DR80 has automatic level recording, a first for Sharp
minidisc machines, I believe.  Manual level setting is still
available.  The DR80 also supports NetMD for faster transfer of files
from computer to minidisc.

The DR80 looks like a minidisc *player* because it lacks an LCD
screen on the unit itself.  The remote control has the ability to
start, pause and resume recording, but I don't think it can display
signal levels during a recording session (hence the need for auto
level control).  The LCD display has moved to a desktop docking
station.

Here's a good photo of the new machine.
http://www.minidisct.com/products/sharp_im-dr80.html

My advice is to stick with the DR7, which is still available from
Audiocubes.com for $239.

--oryoki