Re: New member

Subject: Re: New member
From: Aaron Ximm <>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:09:23 -0700 (PDT)
> > drops an octave.  Can you slow the recording and retain the same pitch?  Or
> > does changing the pitch also help you to a better understanding of the
> > sounds?

Most audio editors can do this, they distinguish between time-stretching
(just time), pitch shifting (just pitch), and 'varispeed' (or
'resampling') modes (both).

New Zealand software company Serato makes a well-regarded ProTools plugin
called Pitch n' Time that does an admirable job of this...

...but you can get less refined versions freely in most packages, eg my
own editor, Samplitude, which even includes an editing mode in its
interface that lets you grab sound clips and stretch/compact them
visually, up to many octaves.

I believe the shareware editor Goldwave (www.goldwave.com) supports all
these modes btw -- it's a decent windows app.

Most common implementations suffer from very audible artifacts when using
time only or pitch only modes beyond a half-step or so.  But I find I can
often use varispeed to get fairly extreme effects without processing
artifacts -- of course, the recordings no longer sound 'natural' anyway,
but... :)

 best,
  aaron

  http://www.quietamerican.org