Re: new preamp with M/S decoder

Subject: Re: new preamp with M/S decoder
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:21:16 -0400
oryoki2000 wrote:

> Perhaps sensing a market opportunity when Sound Devices discontinued
> their MP-2 preamp with M/S decoding, the folks at Apogee have just
> announced a new preamp for field recording, the Mini-MP.  For
> information see
> http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minimp.php
>
> This is an "old-fashioned" analog-in, analog-out preamp, with very
> good specifications, plus M/S decoding.  No digitizing, no USB
> output.  No prices have been announced, but I'd guess around $750.=20
> I'm sure Apogee will be showing the Mini-MP at the AES show in New
> York next week.

Specs for M/S don't look as good as the MP2. The MP2 has a headphone
monitor amplifier circuit that appears to be lacking in the Mini-MP. So,
it does not have the ability that the MP2 had of decoding M/S just for
the headphone output while sending the undecoded signals through to the
recorder. Which is the only way I use the MP2's M/S.

Also not so sure about something that's drawing a full amp from the
batteries. That would be fairly short life with AA Nimh batteries.

I agree, there is a hole. Not so sure this is a good fill. At least for
M/S. To my mind, overpriced.