Re: HHB Portadisc

Subject: Re: HHB Portadisc
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 13:23:21 -0400
Jeremy Minns wrote:
> I bought a Portadisc recently. My battery consumption is high, a maximum of
> one hour of recording per set of 2200 mAh NiMH batteries, with very little
> use of 'pause'. I am unable to charge the batteries in the recorder for
> some reason and perhaps the two problems are linked.
>
> If I didn't live in Brazil I would return my recorder under guarantee but
> unfortunately it would cost US$150 to ship it to the States and I doubt
> whether HHB would cover the cost of shipping it back.
>
> Apart from the battery problem the Portadisc is a great machine.
>
> Jeremy

There is a switch inside the Portadisc behind the battery caddy. It says
"Charge  OFF - ON". Set it to on and you should be able to charge the
batteries. That switch is in there in case you are using alkalines and
plug it in, so it won't try and charge alkalines and I know mine was
shipped with charge off. This info is in the owner's manual.

You should probably verify the condition of your batteries. Maybe try a
new set. That's way, way too fast a battery usage. At that discharge
rate the batteries should be very hot to the touch. If they are not,
they do not have anywhere near 2200mAh in them. It's far more likely
that you have a problem with the batteries.

Note with the charger in the Portadisc, try charging for at least a
couple hours after the green charge light is completely out. It goes out
at something like 80% charge. If after doing a long charge in the
Portadisc you don't get at least 3 hours (combined pause plus record
time) then you do have a problem. If you do get that much, then you were
charging the batteries wrong. If you are still short time it still does
not tell if it's batteries or Portadisc. Feel them after running a half
hour or so. If they are not hot, it's batteries. Even if they are you
are not sure.

 From my dealings with HHb, I'd expect that they will make arrangements
to fix it if it's really bad. You should contact your local HHb
distributor, and you have one in Brazil according to HHb's list. I
expect you'd only have to get it to them and they would handle the rest:

SK Audio Professional Products
Rua Barao de Jaguara 1481, cj 142, Centro Campinas,
Sao Paulo, CEP 13015-910, Brazil
Tel: 011 55 19 3234 6364
Fax: 011 55 19 236 8997
Email: