Re: RFI: Microphone for recording 360 degrees of sound

Subject: Re: RFI: Microphone for recording 360 degrees of sound
From: "Rich Peet" <>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:25:30 -0000
Doug?  I thought you were the guy that recommended step ladders for
better sound?

Don't put your mic on the ground.  At least carry a cable tie and tie
it to the twig of a bush at 5'.  The end result of putting the mic on
the ground for bird song frequencies is to cut the range of your mic
to about 30% of the distance compared to 5'.

The hard work is getting there and being there when the sound
happens.  Don't get lazy once you are there.  I still kick myself
everytime when I turned for home from being cold, wet and tired.
Don't give yourself another reason to kick yourself after the fact
when you don't have to.

The frequency curve gets really wierd with different types of ground
as well.  The posted example is the best possible ground recording
you can do. That being dry, hard, with short cut grass, and still the
distance is severly effected.  The womens voice saying "hi" at the
same time as me is with me being at 5' and the women being at 50'.
One channel with the mic on the ground and one at 5'. Matched mics
pointed the same direction.

300kb download at:
http://home.comcast.net/~richpeet/groundeffect.mp3

Rich Peet

--- In  "J Young" <> wrote:
> Thanks Doug, I feel better now. I thought I was the only one to
just lay my equipment on the ground. Just the thought of carrying a
whole bunch of extra stuff ( tripods, etc.) 3 or 4 miles back into
the bush wears me out.
>   I've never recorded with anyone else so it's interesting to learn
how other people approach the exercise.