Re: Heading North

Subject: Re: Heading North
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:17:54 -0700
I've never written an email to a raven before, let alone a Lady
Raven, but I'll try. When I was a wee kid, they used to call me
Moose, so I guess there's some connection.

Dear Raven

You're going to Y-stone at a great time. The last two weeks of
September are usually the best for elk. Depending on the weather
(which is iffy at that time of year but has been extremely dry and
warm lately), you might try the Pebble Creek campsite in the eastern
Lamar Valley. The campsite is typically closed at that time of year,
but park at the gate and prepare for a good hike to the north of the
main site up the hill of about 3 - 4 miles to get away from the road
that traverses the valley. The traffic noise is bloody awful.  Be
prepared for rain or snow. I've seen 18 inches of show and
temperatures as low as -25F by mid-September, or simply lovely Indian
summer...and everything in between. Take a pair of snowshoes and
check the grizzly reports just in case.

Mainly, you want to get far off the main trails and into wilderness.
As for wolves, that depends, again, on how close they get to you and
whether or not they are in a mood to vocalize. You're not allowed to
chase them, but you can remain in one place for very long periods of
time. First light (dawn) and dusk are usually the best times to try.
Last time my wife and I were there in late September we saw the Druid
pack of 22 wolves in one frame of our spotting scope. Unfortunately,
they were a more than a quarter mile (400m+) distant and we never got
good recordings of wolves in Y-stone although we've certainly heard
them (I have got wild ones in Alaska, though).

Depending on how much luck we have recording soundscapes in the park,
we'll probably head out on the 19th, first to the Tetons and the
Hoback Valley, before heading down to SLC and then back home around
the 24th.

Bernie