FEL 3.5 Series Preamps

Subject: FEL 3.5 Series Preamps
From: "Nick Roast" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 13:19:46 -0000
Members have been enquiring recently about these preamps, I hope I can
provide some answers. First I must declare an interest, we manafacture
and market these preamps in the UK. (they are also available in the US
from minidisco.com).

These mic pre's work by boosting the mic signal by 20dB and working
into the 3.5mm mic socket of domestic recorders.
They draw their power from this socket (plug in power).

We believe they are the smallest and lightest mic preamps in the
world. The mono version, ideal for use with mics lke the ME66/K6 is
built inside the XLR connector and has a 1 metre output lead so you
use it instead of your regular mic lead. There are also 2 stereo
models built inside extended XLR shells.

Gain 20 dB
40 Hz-20kHz +/- 0.5 dB
20 Hz-20kHz -3dB
Headroom: maximum peak input level before clipping -28 dBu.
Noise and distortion - I find impossible to measure accurately but I
can say very low. 20 dB of gain from the 3.5 Series preamp is quieter
than 20 dB from the built in mic preamps in domestic recorders. So if
you run with the preamp in, and the recording level down there is a
significant improvement.

The specs are not as high as conventional preamps, but neither are the
prices, sizes or weights. Furthermore they do not need batteries, have
no switches or adjustments, they just plug in and go. If you want just
to improve recordings in a light weight, simple set up they work well.

Finally they are used by very many Wildlife Sound Recording Society
Members in the UK.

I hope this post is acceptable and informative, there is more
information on the website http://www.felmicamps.co.uk

Nick Roast

FEL Communications