Re: Back-up life

Subject: Re: Back-up life
From: Jeremiah Moore <>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 20:05:01 -0700
Interesting.  I've been slightly worried that my CDRs will start to
deteriorate.  I use them as a primary backup method, always making a
redundant copy.  Been toying w/ the idea of "salting away" entire
hard drive mechanisms for particularly large projects.

Thinking of going to DVD for backups here, as I very frequently have
to back up projects which span multiple CDs.  Still the question:
DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD-RAM (now in new cartridgeless form) and the +
variants DVD+R / DVD+RW) ?

I read somewhere recently that DVD media is preferable to CDR in
terms of longevity.  I don't know where this information comes from,
or what its validity may be.

BTW, the Recording Academy (grammy awards people) have published a
standard for the delivery and archiving of masters for music
projects.  It's obviously of limited use to nature recordists in
particular, but maybe some on the list will find it interesting:

http://www.grammy.com/recommendations.pdf

-jeremiah