Re: Magnetic tape deterioration RFI

Subject: Re: Magnetic tape deterioration RFI
From: Wild Sanctuary <>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:15:21 -0700
Syd, we might be able to help with that issue since we restore
analogue tapes for various organisations and individuals.

Generally speaking, without going into too much detail, the problem
is typically framed by one of two issues (although there can be
others): Hydrotropism; where humidity was absorbed by the adhesive
medium that held the tiny particles of oxide to the mylar backing
causing it to form a gummy substance. When that happens, the tape
does not move smoothly through the transport mechanism of the
playback unit. The second issue, in some early forms of tape, was
simply dessication and crumbling of the backing combined with a
shedding of the oxide.

As for the first, the tape can be baked for a period of time at 128
degrees F. (53C) in a clean convection oven to mitigate that problem
provided one is VERY careful during the process. The second issue is
a bit more difficult and requires delicate handling and usually only
one play of the medium to copy and save it.

If you'd like, we'd be happy to take a crack at recovery for you if
you'll send the tape to our lab although we offer no absolute
guarantees.

Bernie Krause

Wild Sanctuary, Inc.
P. O. Box 536