Re: Destructive vs. nondestructive editing

Subject: Re: Destructive vs. nondestructive editing
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:52:49 -0400
Aaron Ximm wrote:

> I describe these features as they're implemented in Samplitude; while one
> reason I chose it is that it pioneered 'virtual' (non-destructive) editin=
> as a dominant paradigm, I have to believe that many other packages have
> adopted this strategy by now...!

Since I never save back to the original file, in fact don't edit it, but
a copy, I'm doing what it does without involving the program. It should
be basic that you always archive your raw files.

I prefer Spark XL for filtering, which has the ability to build a set of
filtering steps, while listening to the results, or looking at them on
sonogram in realtime. The entire filter stack with all it's settings can
also be saved to disk for use on future files of the same type. Though I
do find that no two recordings take exactly the same treatment for
optimum results, It can save some time to have a set and just tweak the
settings.

Once your live filter setup comes out like you want, then you have it
make a filtered copy, it does not filter back into the original but
saves a new file.

Like you said, you do have to keep up on your file wrangling, cleaning
out unwanted intermediates.

This ability to build a filter set for a single final run seems to be
something that's becoming more common. And part of that is the ability
to preview. I like it because filtering tends to interact, so all the
filtering needs to be set as a group.