Re: PDA Recording System - Opinions Please!

Subject: Re: PDA Recording System - Opinions Please!
From: "oryoki2000" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:04:04 -0000
Darren,

People in this group have said many times that the difference between
a good recording and a great recording is more often due to the
fieldcraft of the recordist than to the equipment used.  This doesn't
diminish my fascination with the latest gear, but it does temper my
recommendations.

The Pocket-PC based recorder using the Core-Sound interface could be
a breakthrough, or a toy unsuitable for quality recording.  Nobody
knows at this point.  Perhaps by the end of Summer we'll have some
reports from the field.  Companies like Marantz and Sound Devices
have a track record of understanding what's needed in portable gear,
so their new products are likely to work well.  The Core-Sound
project really is an unknown quantity.

Given the mic you plan to use, you should start your project using a
consumer-grade minidisc recorder like the Sharp MD-MT290 ($225).  If
you have trouble recording a strong signal, you could add a small
amplifier like the FEL mono in-line mic amp ($80) since your shotgun
mic won't work well with a parabola.  This combination can produce
recordings of excellent quality.

--oryoki