Re: More on Digital transfer MD to PC

Subject: Re: More on Digital transfer MD to PC
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 09:14:18 -0000
--- Walter Knapp <> wrote:
> Doug Von Gausig wrote:
> > Your choice of mics, like a photographer's choice of lenses,
where you
> > position yourself, and your experience in the field will make
all the
> > difference in the world.

> With which I completely agree. The focus should be at the front
end. How
> many folks dithering over fine points of transferring sound into
their
> computer will be recording with mics that justify such dithering?
Or a
> good enough recorder? Or have the experience to use them?

I agree too. Very often, the importance of the equipment is much
overestimated in nature recordings. Instead, one should improve his
skills in using the existing tools, even if it is not the most
advanced gear available on the market. Yes, there are many
similarities to photography. Buying a high-end camera will not
automatically lead to better pictures. It is the experience of the
subject behind the equipment, that makes most of the differences.

>Anyone else been out?

This week I found the first grasshopper singing in this summer. The
Meadow Grasshopper (Chorthippus parallelus) is a very common species
in Germany:
www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/chorthippus_parallelus.jpg

And this is his song:
www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/chort_par2_.mp3 (340k)

When slowing-down the playback speed by factor 10, the details of
the sound production become audible:
www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/chort_par2.wav (473k)

I used the Sennheiser MKH 800, which captured the entire frequency
range of the song:
www.avisoft-saslab.com/sounds/chort_par2.gif

Regards,
Raimund