Re: Digital transfer of bird recordings from a MD to a PC ?

Subject: Re: Digital transfer of bird recordings from a MD to a PC ?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 15:14:14 -0400
hullyjr wrote:

> I have been recording bird sounds using a MD for a few years.
> Mainly, I put together a set of bird calls from pre-recorded tapes
> and CDs for use on an upcoming birding trip. During these trips I
> have accumulated an interesting set of bird calls/songs. I would
> like to transfer them to my PC so I can edit them and build up a
> small database. For this purpose I bought a Sony MD with the
> capability of connecting to my PC via USB. I can transfer songs from
> the PC to the MD as long as Sony's software does not crash but I
> cannot move my recordings from the MD to the PC via the USB
> connection. Is there another way of moving the digital signal or
> will I need to use the analog signal?

None of the walkman style MD recorders have the ability to output a
standard digital audio signal. Only some pro MD recorders or some MD
decks can do this. So, you will need to do the analog route unless you
buy more equipment.

The USB included with some walkman MD's is usually one way and is there
to move mp3's to your MD. NetMD recorders take it a little farther, but
it's a copy protected music distribution method. I don't know if anyone
has managed to hack NetMD far enough to get digital back.

There are also some folks who are even braver, and have noted that the
chip inside these MD's has a D-in lead (which is used) and a D-out lead
(which connects to nothing). So, some really eager person may figure it
out someday. But that would definitely involve modifications to the
recorder.

Analog works fine, is mostly limited by the quality of your audio input
into your PC. You can get USB based external units to input analog to
bypass a poor soundcard, or you can buy a better soundcard.