Re: testing mic self-noise

Subject: Re: testing mic self-noise
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:55:46 -0500
>Pardon what may be an incredibly basic question, but how would I go
>about checking a microphone's self-noise level?  Is there some way to
>do it by using, perhaps, an audio editing program like Sound Forge?
>Thanks in advance
>Caesar

Hi Caesar et al--
I thought it might be useful to follow-up on your original question
about ways to test mic self noise. I ran my test using  a 35dB bed of
urban night presence (with neighbor's fountain) at 2 a.m. as a
source. I compared a Sennheiser mkh-40 with a factory claimed 12dB(A)
of self noise and a Rode NT-3 which is spec'd at 17dB(A) by running
both thru a MP-2 mic preamp and making 24bit/48K mono sound files
through the converters in a RME Hammerfall mutliface.   The NT3 was