Re: Re: testing,.. surround

Subject: Re: Re: testing,.. surround
From: Rob Danielson <>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 18:16:58 -0500
>WALT
>>   >How would you apply the 3:1 rule to a bird calling 50 feet away? That
>>>seems like it's going to lead to darned large mic separations in
>>>multimic setups. Or deal with the elaborate phase shifting and
>>>reflections in a multimic situation?
>
>ROB
>>"...to reduce phase cancellation...the miking distance should be less
>>than 1/3 the distance between mics."  -Bruce Bartlett (Sound Advice)
>
>DAN
>The 3/1 rule has to do with the audibility of comb filtering from two
>mikes -mixed to mono-. The only thing it will tell you about stereo
>pairs is how they will sound in mono.
>
>-Dan

Hi Dan--

Right. And by using the vst plug to pan all the channels around
randomly for 15-20 minutes, the test produced many possible mono
combinations with only one or two moments of very subtle
comb-filtering. The 50-240' spreads in the array portrayed major
timing differences in low frequecies from cars, trucks, motorcycles
and hi altitude jets, but rather than than creating imaging problems,
they formed a mesmerizing sense of the valley's reflections. I may
run into very different results down rhe road wth these set-ups, but
until then, I'm leaving worries about wide spaced omni's being
subject to major frequency phasing problems in the car.  Rob D.