Re: pre amp suggestions?

Subject: Re: pre amp suggestions?
From: "ladyraven_69" <>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 02:25:18 -0000
Thanks Chris and Rob,
  I had previously looked over the Fel link when it came up in an
earlier discussion and have considered something off of their line.  I
have hesitated to buy a preamp, as I am a beginner in nature recording
and do not want to buy the wrong thing.

> You hit the bugaboo, there are no good, cheap pre's I know of. More
> portability without losing quality,..? Well, the 957 may have too
> much self noise to benefit from a good preamp. That mic's self noise
> is ~25dBA as I recall-- a good match for the MD's mic in really.

That is good to know.  I'm wondering if I really need a pre amp with
this setup.  I've read so much about preamps on the list and am
confused.  I have been dealing with the noise issue post-production
with CoolEdit Pro.  This seems to work okay, I just worry about
levels.  I'm used to recording bands and this is a whole different
animal.

 The
> 999 may be slightly less noisy than the 957, not sure. Too much
> system hiss with the 957? Is that why you want a pre, to use the 999
> with the MD and line in?

It could give me more options and I've been dealing with the noise
post production.

 If you get a good noise spec on
> the 999, let me know. I need it for our mic spreadsheet I'm
building.

I will see what I can get on the noise specs for the 999 when I go
into work tomorrow.  I have pretty good resources there.  Maybe I
should wait until after the workshop to decide on a preamp.  Size is
an issue for me, small is better.  I get pretty overwhelmed reading
the e-mails, at times.  I'm kind of a hands on type and am stretching
to become more technically educated.
Thanks again,
Raven