ATRAC and Minidisk: "IN" VS "OUT"

Subject: ATRAC and Minidisk: "IN" VS "OUT"
From: "Jeffrey D. Daub" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:43:32 -0700
Enough beating around the bush!

How about this question folks:

"What exactly is lost with the standards in ATRAC and Minidisc formats?"

possible variables: different manufacturers standards for MD; different
standards for ATRAC; others?

please omit any comments in defense or against ATRAC or minidisk

let's try a scientific inquiry without opinions, OK?

Jeff Daub

Charles Bragg wrote:
> At 06:08 PM 4/30/2003 +1000, John Campbell wrote:
>
>  >DAT and HD are not "lossy compression" at all.  Having captured bits
>  >via analogue to digital conversion, they do not then purposefully
>  >reduce the bit-rate through requantisation - and that is, I repeat,
>  >what lossy compression means.  So the issue IS that ATRAC is lossy.
>
>         A correct definition, but unless you are contending that a
> first-generation ATRAC recording is inferior to a DAT or HD recording,
> it doesn't matter. Who is going to make ATRAC copies of ATRAC recordings?
>         The only helpful way to use the term 'lossy' is as an
> explanation of why one recording is inferior to another. You can't use
> the term as the proof.
>

> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
> Membership Chair
> Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society:
> http://smbas.cjb.net
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=3D232617.3212172.4524785.2595810/D=3Degroupweb/S=
=3D1705083663:HM/A=3D1555962/R=3D0/*http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/cli=
nk?1800flowers2+shopping:dmad/M=3D232617.3212172.4524785.2595810/D=3Degroup=
web/S=3D1705083663:HM/A=3D1555962/R=3D1/1051735345+http://us.rmi.yahoo.com/=
rmi/http://www.1800flowers.com/rmi-framed-url/http://www.1800flowers.com/cg=
i-bin/flowers/product.pl/MD01e84aF3GROUPSHMYH/1202>