Re: home-made windshield

Subject: Re: home-made windshield
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 23:17:10 -0400
Phil Schr=F6ter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I can't stand using those extremely expensive sennheiser windscreens for =
my ME-67 while field recording.
> Even when there is absolutely no strong wind, the sennheiser windshield d=
oesn't work well so I think about making my own one at home.
> My aim is to get good results with inexpensive material(Shouldn't cost $1=
00 or so)..

> What material whould you choose and how would you buld that home-made win=
dshield then?

Material virtually identical to the furry cover, and the thinner soft
material can be had in sewing stores. They say it's some kind of custom
stuff, but I had a expert in furry fabric look at a few and he said it
was standard stuff.

The suspension can be made with a piece of pvc pipe, some rubber bands
or Orings. Cut most of the pipe away, of course.

A zepplin is a little tricky. The easiest to find plastic mesh material
is the "plastic canvas" available in craft stores. It will thermoform at
a bit above the boiling point (can be done in the oven in other words)

Design is kind of on your own from there. Some make a very open frame
and depend on the fabric. The best designs will have more than one layer
of still air.

Lots and lots of time spent watching ebay can net some of the regular
parts at considerable less. There is lots of competition, so most
auctions go too high to be called a bargain. Every once in a while you
get lucky. In two years I've gotten most of the parts for four setups
that way. Averaging not much over $100 each.