Re: Insect mics

Subject: Re: Insect mics
From: "Mike A Eccles" <>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:53:10 -0000
--- In  "sumphull" <> wrote:
> How do professionals record the very soft, tiny sounds of insects?

You might like to take a look at the BBC website where you can listen to
"A YEAR IN THE LIFE OF ANTS" - a series of five programs. I have pasted a d=
=3D=0D
escription
of the series below:

"This is a radio series perhaps unlike anything you have listened to before=
=3D=0D
! Recorded
over a year, the series charts the fascinating and bizarre lives of two col=
=3D=0D
onies of wood
ants; one in a pine forest and the other in a deciduous=A0woodland in
Northumberland.=A0Using specially designed=A0microphones, we eavesdrop on t=
he p=3D=0D
rivate
and noisy activities of the ants; we join the soldiers, workers, nurses and=
=3D=0D
 guards
within nests, following them as they march through the forest on a highway =
=3D=0D
of ant
trails, and we are with them when the nest is attacked by badgers, damaged =
=3D=0D
by
mountain bikes, and threatened by=A0tree harvesters, dogs, ferocious storms=
 a=3D=0D
nd
predatory birds. "

All I can say is - fascinating!