Re:Neumann RSM191

Subject: Re:Neumann RSM191
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:44:31 EDT
First, I support wholeheartedly Doug's admonition that you need to be getti=
ng
out and experiencing the basics of field recording before you get lost in t=
he
mental maze of "what is the ultimate mike?".  Your technique, if it's less=

than pristine, will have far more impact on the recording than the mike,
preamp, or recorder.

Having said that, here's a comment or two replying to recent posts on mikes=
.

I have the predecessor of the Neumann RSM191, the 190.  In hot humid lowlan=
Bolivia twelve years ago, the 190 started crackling.  I switched to
Sennheiser MKH's in the same location, and had no further problem.  The 190=

had previously been fine in a Vietnam trip under less severe heat/humidity=

circumstances; after drying out from Bolivia the crackling disappeared, and=

the mike has been fine for less demanding locations since then.

The main difference I know of between the 190 and 191 is that they integrat=
ed
the pattern control box and battery pack into one casing in the 191 (which=

were separate in the 190); don't know if they changed anything in the mike=

that would give the 191 better environmental stability.  The price of this=

mike is more than a pair of Sennheisers, and its output level is about 10 d=
lower.

Before this gets to be TOO much of an MKH lovefest, though, I'll mention
something that I've written here before.  Fall 2001, walking along an
overhead-electrified commuter railway track in SE Pennsylvania (dry autumn=

conditions), my MKH40 started crackling.  I surmise it took a static
discharge.  Crackling persisted until sent back to Sennheiser for repair.  =
So
even the MKHs aren't absolutely reliable. Caveat recordor!