Re: Telinga: 9 volt battery source

Subject: Re: Telinga: 9 volt battery source
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 00:54:01 -0400
Mark Oberle wrote:
> I have been using Eveready Classic 9V batteries to charge my Telinga
> parabola's accumulator.  I cannot find them anywhere anymore. Most other 9
> volt batteries I am finding are alkaline, which do not work. Stith in
> Ithaca does not sell batteries usable on a Telinga.  Does anyone have a
> U.S. mail order source for appropriate  9 volt batteries for the Telinga?

I've had no problem recharging my Pro V with duracell copper top
alkaline 9 volt batteries the few times I've used non-rechargables. I
don't like using throw aways, read on.

What I do is use a 9 volt rechargable NIMH that's 9.6volts (about the
same as a alkaline) instead of the 7.2volts that's "standard". The
internal battery is a stack of oval NIMH cells by varta that has a
nominal voltage same as the 7.2volt type.

The battery I've used is the Plainview battery, which I get from here:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/9v-nimh-batteries-chargers.htm
Looks like they may have a few other brands now, did not when I started.
Don't know anything about them, but they look to be slightly lower
voltage, but fast charge capable.

You need a charger that is right for the battery. Ones made to charge
7.2volt ones will not fully charge it. The Plainview battery is a bit
higher capacity than the one in the Telinga, but you have some loss in
charging.

The plainview provides a higher initial charging current than a alkaline
will (it maintains it's voltage under load better). But, research of
info at Varta's site indicates that cells of this type the higher
current is well within acceptable range. In use it's no different than
charging with a alkaline except you don't throw away a battery for each
charge.

I've been doing it this way virtually since I got the Telinga several
years ago.