Re: Shotgun microphone

Subject: Re: Shotgun microphone
From: "Raimund Specht" <>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 10:51:08 -0000
Walt wrote:
>Several years of using the Telinga has given me a very good
>working knowledge for what it can and can't do. At least as far as
the
>frequency range of frogs we have (200hz - 7500hz) I'm extremely
familiar
>with those.

I agree. A parabola is still very useful for recording distant
sounds (especially in situations where it is impossible to get
closer to the subject). You simply have to live with it's
limitations (but you should know them). The alternative of using a
bare microphone (even a shotgun) might be worse, because the sound
you are interested in will be buried in the inherent noise of the
microphone.

Raimund