RE: Shotgun microphone - experiment

Subject: RE: Shotgun microphone - experiment
From: "Barb Beck" <>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 13:40:50 -0700
Ok people.  I cannot try this because I have cannot bend over the bathtub
(recovering from some surgery)  It would be better in a swimming pool but I
do not have one and it is well below zero outside right now anyway.

I fully realize that sound waves are not the same as waves in water but I
think they might at least illustrate what is going on.  These are of course
2 dimensional waves  and the molecules of water are moving differently than
sound waves and sound is three dimensional but if you hold the parabola hal=
submerged you might get the idea of what is going on.  At least you are
getting the idea of a longitudinal wave as opposed to what we picture as
electromagnetic radiation

Get your parabola  ( remove the mic!!) find your rubber ducky and splash
away.  Send one wave (simulating a very very very very low sound ) at the
parabola and see if it disappears (it won't).  Would be even better to try
this in a swimming pool if you need convincing.

Barb Beck
Edmonton