Re: Is it time for a FAQ?

Subject: Re: Is it time for a FAQ?
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 12:52:45 -0500
Doug Von Gausig wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've now been discussing nature recording on this list now since August =
of
> 2000, and we have  =B1425 members, growing almost daily.
>
> We've discussed almost every aspect of nature recording and I know we hav=
> all learned a lot. Most of the common concerns and questions of new
> recordists have been asked and answered, and it may be time for a real FA=
> to be posted on our web site. What do you think?

It might help. There is a lot of repeat in what's asked. Though often
each pass through on it turns up new info, particularly when we manage
to get a lurker talking. So it could not be a static FAQ. And in some
areas there is a question if agreement could be reached. This is a
diverse group.

> We'll need to list the most common concerns first - questions like these=

> come to mind:
>
> 1. Which recording technology is best for me? DAT, MiniDisc, Solid State,=

> Wire recorder? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

You left out wax cylinders,  Someone will be upset ;-)

> 2. Which mic is best for what circumstances?

I'd suggest that it would be nice to think about a sample set from
various mics. It's one thing to look at specs, another to actually
record. And what a mic does with music is not the same as what it might
do out nature recording.

And, it's not just which is best, but also 2nd, 3rd and so on. Often
best may turn out to be beyond the means of a lot, so knowing the order
of choices is important too.

Mics are a key part of this process.

> 3. I have $250 to spend, how should I start? $500? $1500? $2500?

 From some of the recent suggested recorders you'd have to have a much
higher level as well. Though I've always advocated that totally new
folks get their feet wet without going broke. Then, once they are hooked
they can find out how much money this can really suck up. It's a problem
as money is somewhat a measure of potential sound quality, not a exact
measure, by any means. Nor can money substitute for experience, learning
the equipment.

I think any discussion of equipment at different money levels needs to
have a discussion of the expected sound quality. The chances of a
extremely cheap setup producing top class recordings under a variety of
circumstances are less. People often come in because they heard some
commercial recording they like and want to go out and do that. They
naturally don't want to spend too much, but the FAQ is the place to try
and convey the concept that there is a reason for a variety of prices.

> 4. Where can I find the best deals on equipment?

Ebay is the one that keeps standing out here.

> 5. Sound editors - which is best for me? Maybe we can have a mini-FAQ on=

> each of the main ones.

May need to split this into Mac and Windows. There are a few pieces of
software available in both, but not most. Certainly not in what most use.

Also, the use of sound editors etc., which is in common with different
OS's. There is a lot about this that's not tied to specific software.

Sonograms is almost a separate topic here. Though I mostly use sonograms
while editing...

> 6. Is there really a Walter Knapp or do you just use this name genericall=
> to identify a consortium of technical advisors for this list?

How do we know anyone is real, I'm real to me. And hardly feel like a
expert. I just feel I should contribute as I have gotten so much useful
stuff from the group. A lot of what I come up with these days is stuff
gathered as a result of earlier discussions on this or other groups. I
have a folder on my HD stuffed with useful info I've gotten here and
there, I don't have most of this stuff in my head. Another indication
where a FAQ would be helpful.