Re: Re: solid state voice recorders

Subject: Re: Re: solid state voice recorders
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 00:05:21 -0500
oryoki2000 wrote:
> Sony and Olympus make exquisite solid-state voice recorders.=20
> Features of the best models include mic input, USB upload to PC or
> Mac, multiple hours of record time, and choice of recording formats,
> all in a pocket-size device that costs $250-$300.  I have no doubt
> that for an extra $100 either company could produce a recorder with
> hi-fi ATRAC digitizing and support for quality mics. But due to the
> RIAA witch hunt against any company that might possibly aid the free
> exchange of music, such machines will never see the light of day.=20

Like microcassette recorders before them, note these are voice
recorders. They are intended to be dictation or lecture recording
machines, and have very limited frequency response. It would take
considerable redesign and adding a lot more memory, they use low
sampling frequencies and bit rates.

I have, in the past, used microcassette recorders for recording
lectures. They worked well for that. It's a different market than music.

They are attractive, I was looking at a display of them yesterday.

I expect any day now, if it's not already here that the micro recorders
will be stuck in cell phones. Think about it, put together a simple mic
pre interface, combine it with a internet satellite capable cell phone,
and just dial up your computer back home and record direct into it. No
reason that could not be done right now. If you have a pile of money to
burn.

> It is OK, however, for us to pay thousands of dollars for Nagra or
> Maycom handheld recorders.  Phooey!

Or $1500 or less for a HHb Portadisc. Which needs no add on's. Supports
quality mics. Already has full frequency sound. That's less than some
people's riding lawnmowers. Certainly less than the cost of mine. But my
"lawnmower" pulled a full size Fedex ground van out of my front lawn
yesterday where he tried to turn around and got well stuck. (We have had
a bit of rain lately)