Re: Low frequency hum with musical accompanyment

Subject: Re: Low frequency hum with musical accompanyment
From: Walter Knapp <>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:34:59 -0500
Dudley Edmondson wrote:

> I just had two sets of custom made unbalanced XLR's plugs made and my HHB
> portadisc recorder was just in for a tune up service so I  don't think they
> are the problem.......
>
> I think  the problem may have something to do with my connection between the
> the stereo miniplug and my unbalanced XLR's plugs.  Usually when this radio
> problem occurs I also get some sort of discharge feedback sound that ruins
> my recordings.  I jiggle or hold the  miniplug/XLR connection to ground it
> but to no avail.

Definitely get some contact cleaner and clean the plug and jack. Good
cleaner not only cleans what's there, but leave a protective lubricant
film. This will greatly reduce the static. If this does not do it and
the plug feels loose in the jack, you need to replace the jack.

If this is happening with just your new adapter, check the sizing. Both
metric and english sizes get used in these systems. If you cross sizes,
you can end up with poor contact.

You may, in the long run want to think about what I did, replacing the
cable and connector with XLR's. I used a 5 pin XLR stereo connector, but
it would be possible to do it with two XLR 3 pins. I definitely feel
much safer using a system that's all XLR and gold pins.